The situation on the ground as of January 2017 is as follows:
1. The White Trail is defined in its entirety all the way from Slovenia to Albania and has already been completely hiked by at least hiking pioneers. The trail stages descriptions are available online at trail.viadinarica.com, as well as on the several portals and mobile apps of the Outdooractive network.
The trail is mostly marked with standard hiking signage, with the exception of the last two stages in Croatia, first in Bosnia and Herzgovina, and some parts of Albania sections. The trail has been branded as Via Dinarica, however, only in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro up to the town of Zabljak (Durmitor National Park).
· The first sections in Croatia are passing through extremely difficult terrain due to a storm disaster occurred in 2014.
· The sections/stages 19 and 21 of the trail in Croatia are temporary following the local road due to the landmine issues at original locations.
2. The Green Trail, perhaps more accurately referred to as the Green Route, is still being defined. The Croatian stages of the Green Trail are defined by the Via Dinarica Croatia team as hiking routes. The stages in Bosnia and Herzegovina include a network of forest roads, hiking trails and rivers. The stages in Serbia are being developed by local communities and organizations but there is still no coordinating body.
3. The Blue trail follows the proposed rambling path through Croatia and joins Primorska planinarska transverzala in Montenegro. There is also a variant in the Dubrovnik hinterland in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The segments of the trail are marked, but the trail is not completely defined or branded as Via Dinarica.
Other variants and activities
The Via Dinarica Blue Trail in Bosnia and Herzegovina is six biking and hiking trails in the southeastern part of Bosnia and Herzegovina developed by EU funded project in 2016. More information can be found here.
Via Dinarica BH MTB is a trail developed for MTB tracking enthusiasts. The trail follows watershed within the White Trail corridor in Bosnia and Herzegovina. This trail will be marked and branded before the summer, 2017.
Via Dinarica BH+ - Is a variant connecting the White and Green Trail in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It splits from Via Dinarica BH MTB and goes over one of the most beautiful Bosnian mountains, Vranica, and via Prokosko Lake descends to the city of Travnik. This variant is also under development.
More information you can find by checking FAQ, comments on stage descriptions and exploring this website.
If you have any questions feel free to call +38762 393 393.
Via Dinarica in BiH – Assessment and Capacity Development project office
Terra Dinarica Zmaja od Bosne 8, 71000 Sarajevo, BiH
Phone: +387 33 668 683
Via Dinarica Croatia
Palmotićeva 27, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Phone: +385 91 51 41 740, Alan Čaplar